Thursday 10 November 2011

Nouvic Clock Journey Part 4

Uv Mapping The Jumbled Up Mess


1. I looked at the UV map for the first time by clicking the button at the top right. The uvs / faces of the object is all jumbled up.


To get through the morale crushing first step I used the automatic mapping function. After using it I had to make sure to delete the history because if you move the object the uv’s will jumble. The auto mapping helped a little because it gave me an idea of the uv groups I am going to make. The down side was that, it can’t do cylinder mapping. It only uses the x, y and z axis and that’s it.

 2. I moved the uv maps into groups and from there I decided which ones will flow nicely together. I had to bear in mind that the construction of the clock is important, It wont be realist without detailing the crevices and how the legs are attached. I could even put in a windup key hole in the back.

 3. ahhh!... reduce function problem…I have just noticed that the reduce tool also moves the vertex’s around a bit, so it’s not parallel  to each other. Therefore the UV mapping is a slightly out and the texturing will be slightly be crooked. (This wouldn’t matter if it was a weird warped shaped but clocks, furniture and architecture are built with the most accurate precession.) 
 
4. I therefore ended up with one quarter of the clock. I started to fix some of the bad geometry and by doing so reduced some tris.
 
5. When I got the leg to the designed shape what I wanted I started to use the duplicate special and then merged it together as I had done previously with the 112 tri.

6. The clock went to 218 tri and my UV map was in pieces because I interfered with the mesh. It was a good thing that I started the problem sooner rather than later, no one can be perfect! I used the automatic mapping again and sorted them into groups.

 7. I decided to combine the archway with the legs UV which will help my texturing flow.


 8. I did the same to the other archways around the clock. In the UV window I grouped them to the side.

9. At the side I selected one of the UV maps. I then selected the polygon menu in the texture window and used the function Unfold. Unfold will layout each face the same shape and size to the 3d models faces. After I unfolded all the archways I sort them out into a very tight formation.

10. Moving on to the next UV’s and just to make sure which UV faces were which I selected on faces’ and clicked on the UV face on the texture window. This didn’t highlighted on the 3D model the faces I had highlighted as I really want to get the UVs the wrong way round. I positioned the UV maps I wanted to fix together and then highlighted the edges that I want to merge together. I clicked in the polygon menu in the texture window and used the Sew UV edges function. After this I sew the UVS on the other side to make a completely flowing UV map. 
 
11. Next I quickly produced the feet UVs and got them to the right scale.

12.This was one of the hardest procedures because I had to re-arrange all the uvs into the dark grey area. I had to take as much space as I could because the more area I covered the more pixels I was aloud for my texturing. I also had to decide which Uvmaps are the most important because they would cover the more of the area than the others. For example the clock front will have a lot of detail on it and the back will have a simple pattern on it. The feet cover up a few large areas so it wont go to waste.
  
13. This is the 114 tri, I applied the same technique as the 218 tri UV map.


14. This is the 80 tris again I applied the same technique as the 218 tri and the 114 UV map.

 15. I used the Delete all history tool and then saved obviously this is very important. Always, be careful because when you delete history on an animated object it will remove the animation.
(Next is texturing)

No comments:

Post a Comment